Team tryouts for both varsity and junior varsity teams will take place on Wednesday August 10, 2016 at Kris Tees on 96th. We will work on the driving range and putting green at 8:00 a.m. and will end at 9:30 a.m. After the first try-out round players will be invited back for a second try-out on Thursday August 11 at Kris Tees same time and same procedure as the previous day. Team selection will be made (if necessary) and a team meeting will take place following the try-out on Thursday, so arrange your schedules accordingly. We will play 9 holes at Crestview Golf Course in Borculo on Friday at 7:30 a.m. We should be done around 10:30 a.m.
Please plan to be early to the try-out sessions. We will begin working at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, so your promptness is appreciated. You will need to bring your clubs, balls, tees, and golf (no metal spikes allowed) or tennis shoes. All players will carry their clubs for try-out rounds and the season. Most golf courses have pull carts available. There is no cost to the players for trying out for the team.
To be eligible to try-out you must be in the ninth through twelfth grade and have completed all of the steps to receive your ZAC card from the athletic office at Zeealnd West by August 10. You must bring your ZAC card with you to tryout on the 10th.
The following list of criteria will be used as part of the 2016 team selection process:
- Attitude and conduct off the golf course
- Attitude and conduct on the golf course
- Playing by and knowledge of the USGA Rules of Golf
- Playing ability and showing improvement from past year, if applicable
- Using solid golf etiquette
- Have good practice habits and practice all parts of the game
- Be able to accept and respond to coaching
- Support your teammates by encouraging their play
- Take care of yourself physically and mentally by eating, sleeping and exercising correctly
- Being able to keep the game in perspective and remember it is a game.
The team schedule (matches and competitions only) may be found at zeelandwestsports.com There may be a couple changes to the schedule due to various conflicts but you can get a fairly accurate picture of the season from the website listed above. A practice and monthly breakdown of the season will be given to players on the 12th.
Please contact Coach Tim Minnear at 616.540.9873 (cell) if you have any questions or concerns.
All the very best,